Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Music & Migraines

I have been listening to the music of Music 2 Work 2 for a long time. Being a friend of the composer/performer, I was listening to it long before the Music 2 Work 2.com venture began.

I have used it as background music while doing all sorts of things - working at the computer, cooking, playing Scrabble, writing documents, and even recently used it to calm down after hours of a very frustrating and anger producing session with a companies' technical support in trying to get a new phone system set up.

Yesterday, I had another of my many migraines. Any change in weather causes me to have one for the past couple of years. Preventive medication only partially works and medication that I have been prescribed to take for the migraine often doesn't work as well as it should and has to be taken a second time. So, I decided to test the benefit of music on a migraine. Ordinarily sound, light and movement increases the pain for me.

We have referenced many articles on the Music 2 Work 2 web site in which studies have shown that music is beneficial for relieving pain following surgery, or has other medical benefits. I can now attest to the fact that Music 2 Work2 music does have a beneficial effect on my migraines. The music playing softly helped me relax; I only had to take the medication one time to get relief from the pain; and the time waiting for the medication to take effect was more pleasant.

I will definitely try this again with my next migraine, but I do feel that Music 2 Work 2 sessions playing softly in the background made a difference in this one.

No comments: